Notify the Post Office of change of address. You can also have your mail temporarily redirected until you change your address on all of your accounts.
- Notify all utilities when to discontinue service.
- Make arrangements in advance for all services at your new home so that all utilities are turned on for you on the day you are moving in.
- Carry with you all currency, jewellery and valuable papers.
- Notify school authorities so they may forward your children's school records to the new school if necessary.
- Arrange to transfer your bank account to your new location.
- Notify the Ministry of Transportation of you address change.
- This is a good time to get rid of all household articles you no longer require.
- If moving into a new subdivision, make sure your new home is accessible by the moving truck.
- Keep a copy of your existing telephone book and obtain a copy of the relevant telephone book in the area you are moving to.
- Leave your current telephone connected until loading is complete in order to allow any required last minute phone calls.
- Take appropriate precautions with temperature sensitive articles. Ship them separately if necessary.
- Try to move when others are not. The beginning and end of each month is typically the busiest and most expensive time to move.
- Notify your dentist and doctor of your move.
- Discard flammables: matches, lighter fluid etc. Also, propane tanks, gas cans, turpentine etc. will not be moved by your moving company.
- Pack pillows and towels in dresser drawers.
- Do not leave refrigerator or stove trays loose during the move.
- Keep items such as luggage that are not to be included in the goods to be moved separate so they will not be moved in error.
- Power tools i.e. table saws, planers, lathes should be dismantled for safe transport.
- Defrost the refrigerator prior to the move.
- Label your boxes and furniture according to the rooms they will be placed in at your new home.
- Organize loading to enable items you require first to be unloaded first.
- Pack a small toolbox for the move i.e. hammer, screwdrivers, drill flashlight as you will almost certainly need them.
- Take one last look around when you thing you have everything. Check the attic, basement and garage.
Feel free to copy and paste this list into a word doc. that way you can check them off as you go!
**Remember, this is not intended to be a complete list. Please make all arrangements specific to your exact requirements.**